Saturday 9 October 2010

This is how we roll

Last Saturday we braved the wet weather and ventured across to east London for a night of DIY sushi at some friends' house. Miso drunk from teacups, gyozo dumplings, a 100 pack of disposable chopsticks, wasabi peas, geisha mix. Strips of avocado, pepper, cucumber, Chinese white raddish. Prawns, crabsticks, salmon. A vat of sticky sushi rice. We made roll after roll, some more successfully than others, and I had a chance to try out some sushi moulds I was given for my last birthday. We finished it off by sampling some Japanese sweets and glasses of some very strong Japanese spirit that M had brought back from his last trip to Japan.

He leaves for Japan for his year long placement on Tuesday. I'm trying not to think about it.






11 comments:

  1. Wow, that is quite a feast. Beautiful food and treats. It looks like it was a fun evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun fun! I love making sushi - so satisfying, although mine is always a bit on the rustic side...yours look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so much fun and very impressive- I'd love to have a go at sushi making. It's making my mouth water ! Hope the year flies past for you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! It looks amazing... i've never tried making sushi... would love to give it ago one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow bec! Looks beautiful :)

    I will take you for cups of tea and slices of cake when you feel blue...

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That all looks so good. I have such a weakness for gyoza! Love the miso in tea cups!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic feast - very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could not bee more jealous! I love sushi, and that looks like a feast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks brilliant! I love sushi, and it's so fun to make your own. And when you're ready to think about it, you know where we are x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a fab evening... I adore sushi and gyoza! Might have to persuade the OH to make some for dinner v soon!!

    ReplyDelete