Tuesday 4 August 2009

Four days in




If the first four days are anything to go by, it looks like the August weather is going to be as unpredictable as July's was. On Saturday, it was overcast, with a slight chill in the air, which made me feel far less guilty about the very lazy day we had than I would have done if the sun had been shining. Following a very late night the night before for a friend's birthday, we got back into bed after breakfast and lay, and read, and dozed. Lunch was an indoor picnic of sorts, which we ate whilst leafing through my cookery books to decide what to make for supper for some friends who were coming over. The rain began just as we arrived back from a quick ingredients shop, and we turned the radio on and started chopping and peeling and crushing and squeezing as it got heavier and heavier, falling in sheets over the London rooftops. I was in charge of the evening's main course, and made a Nigel Slater Thai Green vegetable curry, whilst M was in charge of desert, a deconstructed cheesecake (gingernut base, mascarpone and lime cream, mango and passion fruit topping - his own adaptation). It all felt very autumnal with the dark heavy sky and the steamed up windows. I don't want to wish summer away by any means (I still have a summer holiday to come in September, and various summer dresses still to be worn), but some days you just have to go with it.
Sunday of course was a complete contrast, we went to a barbecue in a friend's garden, sat outdoors and drank Pimms and afterwards walked home across Regent's Park, all beneath a clear blue sky.

Yesterday we had more sun, today it was grey and muggy and threatening rain.

Ah, the British summer.

(Oh and I am finally tagging Anna from Book Early with the questions I answered awhile back. I know I am supposed to tag more people, and I really did try, but all my 'newly discovered' blogs seem to have already been tagged by someone else, and I wouldn't want people to have to answer the same questions twice in quick succession!)

No comments:

Post a Comment